Methodist Center for Restorative Pelvic Medicine
6550 Fannin Street
Smith Tower, Suite 2307
Houston, TX 77030
713-790-9250 – Physician’s main office
713-441-9229 – Center for Restorative Pelvic Medicine
Maps & Directions
Dr. Bailey is the Chief of the Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery at the Methodist Hospital as well as the Deputy Chief of the Department of Surgery. He is a native Texan and a summa cum laude graduate of Rice University in Houston. He received his medical education and MD degree from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in Dallas. His general surgical training was at the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston and his colon and rectal surgical training at the Ferguson Hospital in Michigan. He has been a member of the Medical Hospital staff since completing his training. He is board certified in both general and colon and rectal surgery. He is clinical professor of surgery at the Weil Cornell Medical College and The University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston. He has served as the president of both the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons and the American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery. He is currently a member of the Board of Regents of the American College of Surgeons.
- The University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in Dallas, TX
- Parkland Memorial Hospital, Dallas, TX
General Surgery Residency
- The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX
Colon and Rectal Surgery Residency
- Ferguson Hospital, Grand Rapids, MI
Areas of Excellence
- Fecal incontinence
- Rectal (pelvic) prolapsed
- Complex anal fistula/rectovaginal fistula
- Pelvic endometriosis involving large and/or small bowel
- Colon and rectal cancer
- Hemorrhoids and anal fissures
- "The Best Doctors in America" Woodward/White Directory, 1992, 1994, 1997-Present
- Marquis Who's Who in America, 1994-Present
- Good Housekeeping Magazine "The 318 Top Cancer Specialists for Women", March, 1999
- Rice University Distinguished Alumnus Award, May, 2000
- American Cancer Society "Partners in Courage" Honoree, February, 2001
- Crohn’s Colitis Foundation of America Surgeon of the Year, 2001
- Surgery Chief Resident Surgical Teaching Award (UT Med School Houston), 2006 and 2008
- Bailey, H.R., Ott, M.T., Hartendorp, P.: Aggressive Surgical Management for Advanced Colorectal Endometriosis. Dis Colon Rectum, Vol 37, No. 8, pp.747-753, 1994
- Liscum, K.R., Bailey, H.R.: Management of Early Rectal Cancers. Problems in General Surgery ; Rectal Cancer, ed Fleshman, J. W. Vol 12, No. 4, pp. 1-8, 1995.
- Bailey, HR: A Lifetime of learning (ASCRS Presidential Address), Dis Colon Rectum. Vol 44, pp 1144-7. 2001
- Bailey, H. R, Innovations for an Age-Old Problem: Hemorrhoids in the Female Patient. The Female Patient, Vol.28 October 2003 p. 29-35.
- Hurtado EA, Bailey HR, Reeves KO. Rectal erosion of synthetic mesh used in posterior colporrhaphy requiring surgical removal. Int Urogynecol J. 2007:18: 1499-1501; [Epub ahead of print].