Suzanne Z. Powell, MD
Vice Chair, Education
Director, AP/CP Residency Program
Co-Director, Neuropathology Fellowship Program
Department of Pathology and Genomic Medicine
The Methodist Hospital Physician Organization
Houston Methodist Research Institute
Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University
6565 Fannin Street, Suite M227
Houston, Texas 77030
Dr. Powell received her M.D. degree from the West Virginia University College of Medicine in Morgantown, West Virginia in 1988. She completed her pathology residency training at the University of Florida Health Science Center in Jacksonville where she was chief resident and the resident liaison to the American Society for Clinical Pathology and the College of American Pathologists. Dr. Powell then completed a fellowship in neuropathology at the University of Florida College of Medicine in Gainesville. She joined the faculty at the University of Florida in the Department of Pathology as an assistant professor in 1995, and held that position until she joined the faculty of Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas in 1998. Dr. Powell is currently a clinical professor of pathology at Baylor in addition to her appointment as professor at the Weill Cornell Medical College. Dr. Powell is especially involved in the mentoring of residents and fellows. In addition to her leadership roles in the residency programs at Houston Methodist , she is the immediate past chair of the Residency Program Directors of Pathology (PRODS) Council and the Residency Review Committee for Pathology of the ACGME, where she has also served on the Executive Council of Review Committee Chairs as the representative of hospital-based specialties. She is a member of other national committees, including the Neuropathology Resource Committee of the College of American Pathologists and the Histology Committee of the American Society of Clinical Pathologists. Dr. Powell is the current chair of the Graduate Medical Education Committee of the College of American Pathologists and, in 2011, she received the Resident Advocate Award from that society.
Dr. Powell is board certified in anatomic and neuropathology. She provides diagnostic services for patients with Alzheimer’s disease, dementia with Lewy bodies, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, fronto-temporal dementia, progressive supranuclear palsy, movement disorders (such as Parkinson’s disease), tumors and demyelinating diseases. Her research interests are clinically-based, focused in the area of dementia and neurodegenerative diseases.
Representative Recent Publications
- Robboy SJ, Weintraub S, Horvath AE, Jensen BW, Alexander CB, Fody EP, Crawford JM, Clark JR, Cantor-Weinberg J, Joshi MG, Cohen MB, Prystowsky MB, Bean SM, Gupta S, Powell SZ, Speights VO Jr, Gross DJ, Black-Schaffer WS. Pathologist Workforce in the United States: Development of a Predictive Model to Examine Factors Influencing Supply. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2013 Jun 5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Chow KKh, Naik S, Kakarla S, Brawley VS, Shaffer DR, Yi Z, Rainusso N, Wu MF, Liu H, Kew Y, Grossman RG, Powell S, Lee D, Ahmed N, Gottschalk S. T Cells Redirected to EphA2 for the Immunotherapy of Glioblastoma. Mol Ther. 2013 Mar;21(3):629-37.
- Henkel JS, Beers DR, Wen S, Rivera AL, Toennis KM, Appel JE, Zhao W, Moore DH, Powell SZ, Appel SH.Regulatory T-lymphocytes mediate amyotrophic lateral sclerosis progression and survival. EMBO Mol Med. 2013 Jan;5(1):64-79.
- Li Y, Shaw CA, Sheffer I, Sule N, Powell SZ, Dawson B, Zaidi SN, Bucasas KL, Lupski JR, Wilhelmsen KC, Doody R, Szigeti K. Integrated copy number and gene expression analysis detects a CREB1 association with Alzheimer's disease. Transl Psychiatry. 2012 Nov 20;2:e192.
- Li JY, Lopez JI, Powell SZ, Coons SW, Fuller GN. Giant cell ependymoma-report of three cases and review of the literature. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2012;5(5):458-62.
- Raghunathan A, Olar A, Vogel H, Parker JR, Coventry SC, Debski R, Albarracin CT, Aldape KD, Cahill DP 3rd, Powell SZ, Fuller GN. Isocitrate dehydrogenase 1 R132H mutation is not detected in angiocentric glioma. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2012 Aug;16(4):255-9.
- Ghazi A, Ashoori A, Hanley PJ, Brawley VS, Shaffer DR, Kew Y, Powell SZ, Grossman R, Grada Z, Scheurer ME, Hegde M, Leen AM, Bollard CM, Rooney CM, Heslop HE, Gottschalk S, Ahmed N. Generation of polyclonal CMV-specific T cells for the adoptive immunotherapy of glioblastoma. J Immunother. 2012 Feb-Mar;35(2):159-68.
- Olar A, Raghunathan A, Albarracin CT, Aldape KD, Cahill DP 3rd, Powell SZ, Goodman JC, Fuller GN. Absence of IDH1-R132H mutation predicts rapid progression of nonenhancing diffuse glioma in older adults. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2012 Jun;16(3):161-70.
- Raghunathan A, Barber SM, Takei H, Moisi MD, Mukherjee AL, Rivera AL, Powell SZ, Trask TW. Primary intracranial sarcomatoid carcinoma arising from a recurrent/residual epidermoid cyst of the cerebellopontine angle: a case report. Am J Surg Pathol. 2011 Aug;35(8):1238-43.
- Mukherjee A, Peterson JE, Sandberg G, Takei H, Adesina A, Goodman JC, Powell S. Central nervous system pathology in fatal swine-origin influenza A H1N1 virus infection in patients with and without neurological symptoms: an autopsy study of 15 cases. Acta Neuropathol. 2011 Sep;122(3):371-3.
- Rangel-Castilla L, Kew Y, Powell S, Zhang YJ. Desmoplastic non-infantile ganglioglioma in late adulthood. J Neurooncol. 2011 Jul;103(3):733-7.
- Mitchell BD, Fox BD, Viswanathan A, Mitchell AH, Powell SZ, Cech DA. Ewing sarcoma mimicking a peripheral nerve sheath tumor. J Clin Neurosci. 2010 Oct;17(10):1317-9.
- Rivera AL, Takei H, Zhai J, Shen SS, Ro JY, Powell SZ. Useful immunohistochemical markers in differentiating hemangioblastoma versus metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Neuropathology. 2010 Dec;30(6):580-5.
- Takei H, Powell SZ. Novel immunohistochemical markers in the diagnosis of non-glial tumors of nervous system. Adv Anat Pathol. 2010 Mar;17(2):150-3. Review.
- DiLorenzo DJ, Jankovic J, Simpson RK, Takei H, Powell SZ. Long-term deep brain stimulation for essential tremor: 12-year clinicopathologic follow-up. Mov Disord. 2010 Jan 30;25(2):232-8.
- Takei H, Adesina AM, Mehta V, Powell SZ, Langford LA. Atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumor of the pineal region in an adult. J Neurosurg. 2010 Aug;113(2):374-9.
- Raparia K, Powell SZ, Cernoch P, Takei H. Cerebral mycosis: 7-year retrospective series in a tertiary center. Neuropathology. 2010 Jun;30(3):218-23.
- Guthikonda B, Rouah E, Krishnan B, Powell SZ, Goodman JC, Gopinath SP, Simpson RK. Whipple disease of the central nervous system: an unusual occurrence in association with acquired immune deficiency syndrome. J Neurosurg. 2010 May;112(5):983-9.
- Chamberlain WA, Cohen ML, Gyure KA, Kleinschmidt-DeMasters BK, Perry A, Powell SZ, Qian J, Staugaitis SM, Prayson RA. Interobserver and intraobserver reproducibility in focal cortical dysplasia (malformations of cortical development). Epilepsia. 2009 Dec;50(12):2593-8.
- Talbert ML, Ashwood ER, Brownlee NA, Clark JR, Horowitz RE, Lepoff RB, Neumann A, Otis CN, Powell SZ, Sodeman TM; College of American Pathologists; Association of Pathology Chairs. Resident preparation for practice: a white paper from the College of American Pathologists and Association of Pathology Chairs. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009 Jul;133(7):1139-47.
- Takei H, Powell SZ. Rosenthal fiber-rich glioblastoma: a case report. Clin Neuropathol. 2009 May-Jun;28(3):168-72.